Crush Club Update for the 2010s

October 3, 2011

First off I’d like to apologize for not giving you an update sooner. The delay in our move to the new location at 16th and Macdonald has delayed many well laid plans including the spring ‘Blending Event’ and the decanting of our precious 2010 wines to barrel. Now that we are fully operational in the new store the wine is resting peacefully in a stack of beautiful barrels arrayed neatly by  the bottling station. If you haven’t been into the new store (what’s up with that?!) you haven’t beheld the beauty of all that aging wine.

Stop by and visit it sometime soon.

This year we did some experimentation with different yeast strains on the Pinot Noir runs, the reason being that different strains of yeast enhance certain varietal characteristics. For example, some strains improve fruit notes in the flavour while others might enhance nose or colour components. We tasted those as well at the blending event and were amazed at the differences in character due to the different yeast on the same grape. Couple that with the differences in ‘free’ and ‘press’ runs and you have multiple variables to combine into the final blend.

In consideration of the fact that the choosing and then fermenting of grapes harvested from vitis vinifera (grape vines) has become a very scientific process, the only ‘art’ component of winemaking has become the blending of all these variable characteristics to achieve a balanced wine. Now, try to envison how it will taste 2 to 3 years hence as it marinates in a toasted oak barrel for at least one third of that time.

If you see me looking a little wild eyed and worn out its not because I’m overworked. Its because I’ve been up late fretting about the outcomes of these great experiments that are currently aging in those lovely casks (not that I mind).

Blending Details for the 2010 vintage

Pinot Noir
As I mentioned we used different yeast strains on the Pinot Noir. The names are somewhat meaningless but here they are:
BGY (first harvest)

AMH (second harvest)
RA17
RC212

The final blend consisted of 64% free run and 36% press run. 70% was fermented using BGY and the other 30% was equally split between AMH, RA17 and RC212.

Syrah
We used only one yeast on this wine, name Enoferm Syrah. It was the most highly recommended. The final blend ratios ended up very close to the Pinot Noir in terms of free (62%) and press run (38%).

Merlot

Again just one yeast strain was used, Pastor Red.

The blend ratio was 31% press and 69% free run.

Blend

We used 40% Pinot Noir, and equal parts Syrah (30%) and Merlot (30%) in this blend of which 31% was press and 69% free run.

As for yeast strains…come into the store and I’ll try to get the details straight if my head stops spinning.

 

Cheers!